After swallowing a piece of lamb bone and experiencing discomfort, Mr Stevens attended hospital twice, only to be discharged on both occasions having been advised that he had scratched his throat. His condition worsened and days later he was admitted to hospital where he died of pneumonia and septicaemia. Post mortem examination revealed that Mr Stevens’s oesophagus had been perforated by the lamb bone.
We pursued a misdiagnosis claim on behalf of Mr Stevens’s widow on the basis that there was unreasonable delay in diagnosing and treating the oesophageal perforation. Evidence from independent medical experts indicated that prompt treatment would have saved Mr Stevens’s life.Posted in Misdiagnosis claims